SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
Hi,

> It is currently not clear how we'll identify devices on USB (their
> unique serial numbers are not that unique after all).

The right answer is "export all the information to user space and
let the user choose the naming scheme he likes". For example, I'd
prefer identifying my two (hypothetical) USB mice with identical
serial numbers by position in the bus topology and the other
devices having sane serial numbers by the serial numbers.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"A jury consists of 12 persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer."