SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
In message <19990620183233.A7652@chelm.cs.nmt.edu>, yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu w
rites:
+-----
| On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 09:02:07PM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
| > | But that means if you change order of how disks plug into a scsi bus,
| > | or you move a disk from one to another bus, names change. That's ok for
| > | you?
| >
| > The USB guy noted that the "unique device IDs" aren't. You want it to be
| > based on media? Does that mean my zip drive's name changes when I swap
| > disks?!
|
| On the other hand someone else might want to be able to find the video
| camera after she moves it to another spot on the USB chain.
+--->8

And just how were you planning to find it when it doesn't have a unique
identifier?

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu