    SubjectRE: Massive e2fs corruption with 2.2.9/10?
    Date
    I am seeing similar problems. I am using an all-SCSI system (VIA VP3
    chipset, NCR 876 SCSI, Fukitsu 9,1GB (narrow) U-SCSI harddrive)
    I am still trying to find out when exactly this started to happen, but is
    was early 2.2.x.

    I am getting these problems when I just copy a kernel tree and do a diff.
    When I do 3 diffs, I get 3 different results, some differences seem to come
    back every diff, and when I check the files, they are indeed changed. Some
    differences however are completely random.

    I am also seeing many frame errors on my ISA networkcard (NE2000 compatible,
    realtek 8019 chip). When using an PCI card, these problems disappear, but it
    isn't a faulty card, because I tried another one.

    These problems appear to be memory or timing related, so I currently suspect
    the DMA work-arounds for the VP3 chipset, but I will not be certain of that
    before I have tried an older kernel.

    I compiled the kernel with both egcs from RH6 and gcc from RH5.2, but both
    kernels (2.3.[56]) are giving problems.

    I am seeing these problems at least from 2.2.5 onwards... And as far as I
    remember the FS corruption and the network problems appeared at the same
    time...

    Hope this helps to isolate the problem.

    > > If I copy a large (650Mb) file to a different filename, then perform a
    > > compare on them, I encounter random, different miscompares. I've seen
    > > this on several 2.2.9 and 2.2.10 systems.
    >
    > Ok people is this
    >
    > SCSI or IDE (or a mix)
    > What compiler was used
    >
    > I'll go try and break my hardisk
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.022 / U:0.644 seconds]