SubjectRe: System.map
Date
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:22:03 +0200,
Ward Vandewege <ward.vandewege@pandora.be> wrote:
>Just make it boot vmlinuz-2.2.10. No need for any options, the kernel will
>automagically select the correct System.map file (i.e.
>System.map-2.2.10).

To be pedantic, the kernel does not care about System.map. It will
boot and run quite happily without any System.map anywhere on the
system. It is only user space programs like klogd or ksymoops that
look for System.map. The log message "could not find system.map" comes
from klogd, not the kernel.

Both klogd and ksymoops have default places to search for the map and
both have options that you can use to point to where you store *your*
map. Check the man pages for those programs then decide where to store
your map. These programs will only "automatically" find the map if it
is where they expect it to be and has the correct name.

FWIW, I store my System.map and .config in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/.
If you use modules then you require a unique module directory for each
version of the kernel so it is a convenient place to store other kernel
specific data. It is trivial to point klogd and ksymoops at the
current map that suits your standards.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.046 / U:0.096 seconds]