SubjectRe: Why khttpd is a bad idea (was a pointless argument about
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> and the overhead engendered by those functions. I think it's a very
> promising approach, that may very well be just as fast as khttpd while
> still giving all of the flexibility that user-space httpd can offer.

I think the point is that khttpd works with any webserver software. It
doesnt try to do everything it just tries to do one thing (serve static
files, a very common operation), and do it as optimally as possible, while
dropping dynamic stuff eg cgis etc off to userspace daemon.

Switching webserver software is not always an option, no matter how nice
Zach Brown's httpd might turn out to be.

In this case khttpd becomes very desirable since it can squeeze a lot more
performance out of a system for very little effort, in a completely
transparent way.

khttpd is also attractive for embedded systems 8)

-Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.082 / U:0.052 seconds]