    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
    Horst von Brand writes:
    > o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s (david parsons) said:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > Symlinks are your friend. If you can't live without the dubious
    > > benefit of having the kernel not tell you information, but instead
    > > have to guess about what devices are, you can do this with symlinks.
    >
    > Yet again: How do you manage permissions on this cleanly? It has to
    > be persistent (no "OK, after we boot this tiny script fixes up the
    > whole mess")? How do you propose to manage default permissions for
    > devices that might suddenly appear out of nowhere (i.e., USB or
    > hot-pluggable PCI or PCMCIA or...)? No, "one size fits all" won't
    > do.

    You actually haven't looked at devfsd, have you?

    > I'm not against some devfs type scheme per se, but this is
    > important, and devfs makes this problem _worse_ without solving much
    > of the other problems that are there. The current way of populating
    > /dev with everything there might ever be is broken, but gives you a
    > clean, uniform way of setting persistent permissions using standard
    > tools.

    Actually, devfs makes it better. Devfs allows you to have a shared
    NFS read-only root and still have a mutable /dev. And you can have
    persistence too!

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:4.546 / U:0.260 seconds]