SubjectRe: ncd (network character device) ?
[Impressively fast response, btw :)]
> Why would you want to run a network-aware audio program over another
> network-aware audio program? (If the answer is "GNOME", the response is
> "teach the esd client library how to talk to NAS".) Chained network audio
> systems can only be considered a kludge.

Teaching esd to talk to NAS is one solution. However, everything else
here is chattering to esd happily (and no, that doesn't include GNOME,
that's not installed here).

Also, NAS appears to be effectively unmaintained. At least, it's
unchanged since 1995, and there is lots of stuff in TODO, so it's not
`stopped because finished'. And I'd rather give a program that's being
maintained control of /dev/dsp.

To be frank, I'm not using esd's network-awareness at all; it's no good
at that. However, NAS is not very good at the audio output side compared
to esd (it never lets go of /dev/dsp, and so can't interoperate with
non-NAS-aware audio systems at all). So I'd rather use both.

Frankly, we need *one* mixer, not five hundred... (maybe alsa will be
the solution to this...)

--
`dont forget that Linux became only possible because 20 years of OS
research was carefully studied, analyzed, discussed and thrown