    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
    On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 tytso@mit.edu wrote:
    > Sigh. Let me try again. The fact that people are arguing about names
    > means that it is clear the kernel should *not* be dictating what shows
    > up in /dev. That should be done by a user-mode daemon.

    The interesting question, of course, is: how is this different than the
    policy currently being set by /proc? Where is the user-mode daemon
    allowing me to change the layout of /proc/sys to a more appropriate
    layout?

    > Like it or not,
    > the names in /dev *are* policy, and kernel should not be dictating
    > policy. Therefore, the kernel should not be deciding what names appear
    > in /dev. Q.E.D.

    Like it or not, the names in /proc *are* policy, and kernel should not be
    dictating policy. Therefore, the kernel should not be deciding what names
    appear in /proc. Q.E.D.

    --
    Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net> [ What goes up, must come down. ]
    http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/ [ Ask any system administrator. ]