SubjectRe: Bridging with 2.2.5
I'm getting closer, but still no cigar.

After spelunking through br.c as well as the brcfg and brcfgex packages
that are floating around, I accidentally came across a way to get around
the "I can't ping anything" problem.

When bridging is started with brcfg, it sends 802.1 packets looking for
another bridge to negotiate with. You can see the output of brcfg go from
LISTENING to LEARNING to the FORWARDING state. Unfortunately, this
negotiation takes over 1 hour (max_age and forward_delay) since I have no
other bridge on my lan. Nothing gets forwarded while in the LISTENING
state. I found that if I started bridging with brcfg without my
interfaces in promiscuous mode, waited for 802.1 negotiation to fail and
bridging to go into FORWARDING mode, and then putting my interfaces into
promiscuous mode, I could ping across the bridge (I could also do this by
hacking brcfg to send an ioctl to turn off the spanning tree algorithm,
but I haven't messed with it yet).

Now my problem is that I can only perform network operations across the
bridge that involve "small" packets. I can ping, open telnet and ftp
sessions, as well as browse small web pages, but I cannot ftp files or
type commands in my telnet window that generate lots of output or browse
web pages that have lots of graphics. For example, the httpd will just
sit there in the LAST_ACK state (seen via netstat) and that last .gif will
not load in my browser.

Any ideas?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.086 / U:0.312 seconds]