SubjectRe: Kernel Hang ( linux 2.2.x x<=10 )
At 22:49 15/06/99 +0000, Charles-Edouard Ruault wrote:

> It's an AMD K6-2 400 on an epox motherboard, 128MB RAM , IBM IDE HDD ,
> AHA 2940 SCSCI card on which i've plugged a IOMEGA JAZ and an intel
> ehterexpress pro 100 NIC card.
>
> since the beginnig ( kernel 2.2.x ) i've been experiencing a lot of
> random system hangs ( no messages on the console or in the log files ).
> The only way after such a hang is to do a hard reset.

Same thing here. My hardware is the following: PII-350, 128MB RAM, Dual IDE
Samsung 6.4GB HDD, AHA 2940 SCSI card (only used for my cdroms, scanner,
SyJet), ISA ne2000 clone and PCI ne2000 clone.
As you can see the only thing that matches with Charles-Edouard's setup is the
AHA 2940 SCSI card. Am I dreaming or was there an AHA2940 in every machine
mentioned on this list that has this behaviour?

The Linux box is a smb fileserver also acting as gateway/firewall for an
internet connection, masquerading the internal network.

I can reproduce the hangs, that seem to occur when there is a lot of
network/disk traffic. When machines behind the firewall use a windows file
synchronization utility, comparing files between the Samba share on the Linux
server and the local disk, the Linux server freezes after a 20-30 seconds. No
messages anywhere, nothing in the logs, alt-sysrq doesn't do anything anymore.

It has happened too when someone started ftp-ing a big file (10+MB) at high
speed (100+ Kb) through the firewall, or even at random, mostly in X sessions
on the firewall.

I have seen this behaviour with stock 2.2.7, 2.2.9 and 2.2.10. I have tried
reproducing it with 2.2.5-22 (the latest RedHat 6.0 kernel update), but could
NOT. That kernel seems to behave properly.

Hope this helps - if you need more info please let me know.

Ward.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.946 / U:0.784 seconds]