SubjectRe: [SuSE Linux] 2.2 Boot problems
"Andre M. Hedrick" wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Bill C Riemers wrote:
> > of whether I enable the PIIX option. Although, I decided to use the
> > kernel with it enabled, just to see if I actually get a performance
> > boost out of it.
>
> Did you get an improvement?

For the most part, disk IO speed is irrelevant to system performance on a Linux
box used for normal desktop activities. The drive hardly ever needs to spin because
of the effective cache management. The only time I notice disk performance is when
'fsck' runs. Since don't reboot my machine that often, it will be a while before I
know if 'fsck' is running any faster.

> > The only problem I had with the 2.2.9 kernel once adding the 2.2.9.uni...
> > patch is that 'make menuconfig' didn't list the option to enable mouse
> > support or the 'mice' submenu. However, I found the way around the problem
> > is to instead run 'make config'. Once mouse support is enabled, it shows
> > up with 'make menuconfig'.

> Oh well, us console geeks do it the old fashion way..........

Yeah. I'm addicted to 'menuconfig'. Usually when I use 'make config', I'll start hitting
return repeatedly for the options I don't want to change and accidentally pass the options
I do want to change. I've tried 'make xconfig', but I really don't care for the X11
inter phase, and it is impossible to use if I'm trying to do something like get the
mouse properly configured.

> > So now I'm a happy 2.2 kernel user. And I'm even happier to know that
> > this patch is generally available, and I didn't have to do any strange
> > hacks.

> Rock on Bill............Like I said in the beginning it is not a SuSE
> issue, it is a driver revision issue. All of this is in 2.3.6 and with a
> few more test.............it will get back to 2.2.X.
> Then I get a break to look at other issues.

Cool. My main worry was Linux was going to diverge from supporting my hardware.
Right now more of my hardware works under Linux than Windows. That is a dramatic
change from when I first started using Linux back in 1992 or was it 1993 when I
was ecstatic to be able to print ASCII text.

Bill

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.809 / U:0.224 seconds]