SubjectRe: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers
   Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com) wrote :

> On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 10:55:13AM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
> > > in fstab. I tried it, and mount likes the labels just fine. However, my
> > > fsck doesn't understand the labels yet (didn't try the UUIDs).
> >
> > The difference is that Volume-label and UUID are stored in the partition, which
> > means they can't used with mkfs and neither with fsck , because the partition
>
> This does not at all mean they can't be used!

OK , then how would you make this :
"mke2fs on partition YAHOO1"
if the label YAHOO1 isn't defined anywhere ?

Off course "mke2fs /dev/hdx --set-label=YAHOO1" is possible ,
but then you are NOT using labels to select a partition.

It is true that making a file system is a one time operation and the admin
"has time" to look up the correct partition , but just using labels is
easier , IMHO.

> > may be currupt.
>
> If the partition is so corrupt that the label name can't be found
> user interaction is probably necessary anyway. If the label is intact
> everything is fine.

But if it isn't , then it's not fine. If the FS is corrupted , then
any part of it can be bad , including the label , don't you think so ?

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail : 1stein@writeme.com | living in sLOVEnija