    SubjectRe: initrd redesign (was Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to
    Werner Almesberger wrote:
    > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > That would be nice, but may complicate things unneccesarily. In the
    > > general case, you may have to worry about garbage-collecting parts of
    > > the filesystem that are now unreachable, and that would be majorly
    > > painful.
    > My assumption is that all file systems are reachable somehow, e.g. via
    > some device file. Since you should know fairly well what mess your initrd
    > may have left behind, the cleanup should actually be quite simple. Even
    > a "general" cleanup mechanism doesn't look too difficult to me, provided
    > that you have the access information somewhere (/proc/mount-devs ?).

    That seems a little hacky to me...

    > > I actually think that an nfsroot.gz initrd would do everything the
    > > current kernel mechanism does.
    > Yes, and it could even do more clever things than NFS root does right
    > now. What I meant was that it's trivial to just make a kernel boot
    > floppy, but constructing something with kernel, nfsroot, and boot loader
    > is more complex. Naturally, with time, packages and scripts should show
    > up to simplify this too.

    > > exec() init works just fine. I have used it. I don't think there is
    > > any need to put that in kernel space.
    > Great, so we're already half there :)

    "The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
    Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with
    and that would not necessarily arouse suspicions."
    -- Security exploit description on

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.025 / U:50.384 seconds]