SubjectRe: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?
rhw@MemAlpha.CX (Riley Williams)  wrote on 11.06.99 in <Pine.LNX.4.10.9906111236290.14550-100000@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>:

> Like he said, he (and most users in my experience) has little interest
> in why something happens, and his only interest is in what to do to
> fix it once it happens.

When, oh when will people learn that this is just not possible in general?

And for those things in Windows where the "Microsoft Fix" works (1.
Restart computer 2. If that doesn't work, re-install), well, you *can* do
the same on Linux. I think it's silly, but it's certainly possible.

Oh, and Linux gives exactly the same amount of clues as Windows wrt. when
to apply this "fix": none.

Of course, there are things where the Microsoft Fix doesn't work at all -
flaky hardware, programming bugs, data overflowing disk, network
congestion, any number of things. Which brings us back to the beginning:
you simply cannot fix most problems until you understand at least partly
what is going wrong in the first place.

> I have explained the precice meaning of the latter comment. In reply,
> he pointed out to me that when an agent is using the computer, the
> customer can also see the screen, and were any such expressions to
> appear on the screen at such a time, it would be unlikely to enhance
> the company's reputation much.

Since, given Linux, that screen would probably be showing X, it's not very
likely that the customer would get to see that message anyway. Or do you
expect a travel agent would have xconsole showing?

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.097 / U:0.732 seconds]