SubjectRe: Patch 2.2.10 is wrong
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The new behaviour is fairly horrible if something goes wrong, though: it
> leaves the ".orig" file only for the files that had trouble, not the
> files that were successfully patched without warnings. That makes it
> harder to "revert" a patch that had partial problems. It's still
> possible, but it's definitely less user-friendly for that case.

I have all the source trees from 2.2.1 to the newest (via patches starting
at 2.2.2). This does sorta pertain to the above about backups (I hear
people saying it's a waste of space <g>. It's not too much, just the size
of 2 full kernels)
I unpack the tarball, mv it to the version number, and
cp -lax <version> linux
then patch that.

This is where I get confused sometimes... I'd rather just do this:

cp -lax 2.2.9 2.2.10
cd 2.2.10
zcat ../patch-2.2.10.gz|patch -p2

I get through most files ok, but some don't patch right and it doesn't make
sense. Anyone shed some light on that?

BTW, if the patch goes bad, rm -rf 2.2.10 (or whatever) and start over
again.... It breaks hard links to files that change which I like =)
(Please, lets not talk about the links. I realize how thats done =)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.058 / U:0.084 seconds]