    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
    In message <199906131254.IAA19346@alcove.wittsend.com>, "Michael H. Warfield" w
    rites:
    +-----
    | > If they can run insmod or trash module objects, they can replace the kernel
    | > and run lilo, then force a reboot. I see no security improvement, and it's
    | > not *that* much harder.
    |
    | But a reboot is detectable...
    +--->8

    Only if someone's logged in at the time, or actually looking at the machine.
    If not, uptime and log entries can be falsified by the new kernel and hacked
    utilities.

    "Too hard"? You'd be surprised what's in rootkits.

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu