    SubjectRe: holes for ISA boards...
    Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX> wrote:
    > > Christer Weinigel made a patch for 2.0.29 so long ago that
    > > let Linux use all your RAM and still have the hole.
    >
    > > It may still be available at:
    >
    > > ftp://rvs.ctrl-c.liu.se/pub/wingel/memory-hole-2.0.29.diff
    >
    > > Shouldn't be terribly difficult to move to 2.2/2.3.
    >
    >Any idea why this patch wasn't included in the main kernel?
    >It sounds like it'd be a very useful feature.

    Mostly because it's such an ugly hack I never considered getting into
    the standard kernel, and I think that when I posted it on linux-kernel
    someone said there was a more generic memory detection scheme in the
    linux-2.1 kernel already.

    Another problem is that my code only handled autodetection of the
    memory hole with a very specific Intel chipset (and a broken BIOS,
    that's why I poked directly at the hardware).

    It would probably be a better idea to backport the 2.2 memory
    detection scheme to the 2.0 kernels, doing it right. Any volunteers?

    /Christer

    --
    If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?