    SubjectRe: holes for ISA boards...
    On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 03:07:34AM +0200, Hirling Endre wrote:
    % On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
    % > Any idea what's going on? Is it impossible for me to poke a hole in memory
    % > from 12-16MB so I can hack on this silly ISA board?
    % Your patch creates a hole in Linux's virtual address space, but your
    % card needs a hole in the physical RAM, or it will conflict with chips
    % in that range. I think there's no way to do this with a machine that
    % has more than 12M of RAM.

    Some BIOSes have the capability of creating a hole within memory just
    for supporting legacy ISA cards. My FIC PA-2013 has such an option,
    although only for 14-16M or 15-16M hole.

    % But then again, you have Linux, an OS that runs fine with even 12M of
    % RAM :)

    In fact, I activated the memory hole feature when setting up my machine
    and ended up with Linux detecting only 14M. It took me a few days to
    notice that I was running on vapors...

    Which makes me wonder why Linux doesn't support this situation, and where
    I could find info that would let me fix it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:0.520 seconds]