SubjectRe: sys_mount cleanup
On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 10:52:38PM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <>
> By author: Alan Cox <>
> In newsgroup:
> > > Linux 1.0.0 had some backward compatibility with a sys_mount() which
> > > expected only 3 arguments, not 5. Would anyone care very much if this
> > > compatibility were to simply go away without warning in 2.3?
> >
> > Traditionally we've put in a bitch about something being obsolete for one
> > stable version then squashed it the next
> >
> Incidentally, any hope for fmount()? Having an fmount() system calls
> would get rid of some security-hole race conditions in /bin/mount when
> doing mounts on behalf of users.

Any admin who sets up their /etc/fstab to allow this sort of race
condition to occur probably deserves to be micromanaged. By the latest
intern in HR. In any case, Al & I have just been tossing around a
much more exciting idea with which to replace mount() that would also
obsolete fmount()..

Matthew Wilcox <>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of
specific companies. Unix, by contrast, is not so much a product as it is a
painstakingly compiled oral history of the hacker subculture." - N Stephenson