    SubjectRe: sys_mount cleanup
    On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 10:52:38PM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Followup to: <E10sZE9-0003cY-00@the-village.bc.nu>
    > By author: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > > Linux 1.0.0 had some backward compatibility with a sys_mount() which
    > > > expected only 3 arguments, not 5. Would anyone care very much if this
    > > > compatibility were to simply go away without warning in 2.3?
    > >
    > > Traditionally we've put in a bitch about something being obsolete for one
    > > stable version then squashed it the next
    > >

    > Incidentally, any hope for fmount()? Having an fmount() system calls
    > would get rid of some security-hole race conditions in /bin/mount when
    > doing mounts on behalf of users.

    Any admin who sets up their /etc/fstab to allow this sort of race
    condition to occur probably deserves to be micromanaged. By the latest
    intern in HR. In any case, Al & I have just been tossing around a
    much more exciting idea with which to replace mount() that would also
    obsolete fmount()..

    --
    Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
    "Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of