SubjectRe: Oops in 2.3.X, 2.2.X, and 2.0.3X with FENRIS and NCR53c875 SCSI Driver

Jeff,

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Jeff Merkey wrote:

> Gerard,
>
> More info. The address on the analyzer trace appears to be a DSP register.

Could you stop a minute please and think a bit.

You just let me know the first info that may have some relevance. I mean
that it is the DSP register that seem to have been wrongly spotted.
Nobody, even god, is able to give you any help with such a few
informations.

On the other hand, you have sent to the list a mail from me that was
_private_. That's nothing but extreme _bad_ taste.

If you want to solve the problem by yourself, then do it silently, please.
But if you want some help, then let me tell you that you are not on the
right way to get any, at least from me.

> What looks like happened is that someone wrote some state into memorty then
> hit the DSP register to initiate a SCSI SCRIPTs operation, then the driver
> spun off into oblivion. This box we have a very new, and a lot of stuff is
> broken on it besides this. It's a very new PIII system, and We have
> problems with some of the hardware (Intel EtherExpress cards don't work
> properly -- bus timing problems). There may be a config conflict that's
> messing with your driver. I will look at it some more. This may be a case
> where Intel shipped buggy chipsets and we had the misfortune of getting one
> of these boxes.
>
> Is this enough detail for you?

NO. That's just prose that does not help me at all. For the moment, the
_only_ info I noticed from you about your problem is that it seems that
the DSP register has been victimized by some spurious DMA.
Such a cause has great chance to break everything.

About the Intel Chipset, you can download Errata Listings (Specification
Update) from the Intel site. Perhaps some info is already available
about your chipset.

Did you check that all your hardware was properly assembled?

Did you give a try to a minimal configuration as this one?
You system should be able to boot with only a boot device installed.
You should try to only configure the PCI device that deal with your
boot device (remove all other PCI devices if possible and/or donnot
configure any driver for them) and observe if the problem still
occurs under some load.

Gérard.

> Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.054 / U:0.040 seconds]