Subject2.2.9 won't boot
I posted a message complaining about 2.2.9 not booting from a boot
disk. I've since done some hardware manipulation and put in another I/O
card (SIIG w/Promise chipset--ugh!). I am now able to boot with LILO
from the hard drive, with the default kernel from Redhat 6.0 (2.2.5), I
am not able to boot with 2.2.9 still, though. The kernel loads,
uncompresses, detects drivers, etc, and gets to the point where it says
"Freeing unused kernel memory...", right after it mounts root
filesystem, and freezes. Everything locks up tight. As far as I can
tell, there isn't any way to capture boot messages in this situation,
because they always get overwritten when I boot up again with the stock
kernel.

I looked through the archives searching for answers, and it seems the
newsgroups are very bare. If someone has pointers to docs about what
might be wrong/how to fix it, or has thoughts on the matter, I'd really
appreciate it.

The machine in question is an old 486/120 with an AMI BIOS. My current
card is the Fast EIDE Controller in a VLB slot. I don't think it's a
hardware problem in that respect, because I have the same problem
whether I boot from a floppy or from the hard drive, and I've tried a
couple of different I/O cards with exact same results.

Help,
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis