    SubjectRe: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?
    Date
    On Wed, 09 Jun 1999, Kelley Spoon wrote:

    > Someone else brought up the point about censoring work other people
    > contributed, and I agree with that. I have absolutely no problem
    > with a developer calling a spade a spade.

    It should be pointed out that they aren't calling spades spades. No
    copulating, voiding of excrement, or condemnation to an afterlife of torture
    actually occur in the Linux kernel. ;)

    Also, many of these words (such as hell and damn) are expletives, meaning that
    they do not contribute anything to the sense of the sentence, except perhaps to
    express the author's annoyance.

    I would suggest that looking for obcenities in kernel messages would be a good
    way to find poorly written messages which should be made more explicit and
    helpful.

    The reason this kind of language is still seen as unprofessional in at least
    some quarters is that it is more common amoung the illiterate and because it
    introduces topics with distictly unpleasant aspects into a context in which
    they are entirely irrelevant.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:3.353 / U:0.012 seconds]