SubjectRe: PROBLEM: fcntl(F_GETLK) on NFS-mounted file makes machine unusable
Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> writes:

> Martin Baulig <martin@home-of-linux.org> writes:
>
> > This will make the system unusable as soon as it executes the fcntl ()
> > system call. The machine is still responding to ping () but I have not
> > managed to make it do anything productive after that (for instance a short
> > C program printing the current time serveral times a second stops either).
> >
> > As a side note, if you install netscape on a nfs mounted device, it will
> > use such a deadly fcntl () as soon as you choose `File / New Message'.
>
> Is your server capable of supporting the NLM locking protocol? The
> userspace nfs servers (Olaf Kirch's nfs-server) don't --as opposed to
> knfsd and most non-linux servers. NFS partitions from these kind of
> servers should be mounted using the 'nolock' mount option, and will
> only support local locks (i.e. they are not shared over the network).

It's the standard nfsd which comes with SuSE 6.0:

===
atlas:/home/baulig > /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd --version
Universal NFS Server 2.2beta38
atlas:/home/baulig > /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd --version
Universal NFS Server 2.2beta38
atlas:/home/baulig > rpm -q --file /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
nkita-98.12.14-5
====

I tried to mount the filesystems with the 'nolock' option and it works
fine now.

Thanks for your help!

--
Martin Baulig - martin@home-of-linux.org - http://www.home-of-linux.org