SubjectRe: [patch] new scheduler

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> attached is a patch that changes the Linux scheduler
> to do the following things better/right:
> - niced tasks use far less CPU than before
> - interactive tasks always have a higher priority
> than running tasks (more so than it's the case now)
> - global priority recalculation has been changed to a
> new mechanism involving p->defer, indicating when a
> program is to get it's next time slice

you have removed priority recalculation, but priority recalculation has a
goal: not running processes gather priority approaching maximum priority
(40) logarithmically. This is how we 'boost' interactive processes
automatically. Maybe i've misread your patch, but where is this mechanizm
now? (or if it's replaced by something else, how does that work?)

-- mingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.045 / U:0.568 seconds]