SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
Davide Libenzi wrote:

> >I have to disagree with you on this. Respect is earned not automatically
> >given. He might be the father of UNIX but the first incarnations of UNIX

Huh, doesn't anyone here understand? For years Thompson must have been basking
in the glory of creating Unix. Now an upstart new version comes along and
attention starts to fade. We've seen it with RMS and now with Thompson. Don't
you understand, these people are on a fame trip. You don't thinks so? Take a
look round any university research lab. Perhaps he's upset more people aren't
taking up Plan-9? Who knows, who cares...

And in any case, if the history of Unix has taught us anything it is that Unix
and its derivatives will ultimately fragment due directly to the nature of the
personalities involved. In general, the personalities involved in Linux's
creation aren't like that (although some spring to mind!) so let's forget about
Thompson.

Linus didn't need his approval when he started Linux and we sure don't need it
now.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.041 / U:0.072 seconds]