SubjectRe: Mark Russinovich's reponse Was: [OT] Comments to WinNT Mag !! (fwd)
DaveM said

> > Most of this would suggest that their existing architecture
> > passes mbuf-chain-like buffers to the networking drivers in NT,
> > or some other kind of scatter-gather list like scheme. This is
> > the only way they could do zero-copy without driver updates from
> > all the networking card vendors.

AlanC then said

> They do exactly that. If you are curious get the NDIS SDK. It is very close
> to BSD mbufs with a vaguely streams like stacking setup.

Could someone please clue me in on how this works? I don't understand
how we can do zero copy without hardware checksumming... and in the
cases we do, surely the overhead of twiddling this hardware is
comparable to copying 1500 bytes of data? (For HIPPI I can see it
might make sense).

-cw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:2.142 / U:0.008 seconds]