SubjectRe: Oops assist...
Date
On Thu, 06 May 1999 23:20:18 -0500,
Nicholas Henke <henken@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>What if this were done to a "who-cares" filesystem, such as that on a
>floppy disk.

That only solves half the problem. If the kernel is still running
after an oops then you can write to a floppy/printer/disk/whatever.
But if the kernel is still running, then writing to syslog is almost as
good. The other half of the problem (the hard bit) is how to dump
kernel data when it is so badly hosed that interrupts do not work and
you will have to reboot to get the system running again.

When I say "interrupts do not work", this can be anything from a single
masked IRQ, through bottom half handling problems all the way up to all
interrupts being masked. Basically anything that causes a hard system
hang. Linux runs fast because we catch an interrupt, grab the data and
(most of the time) schedule a bottom half to process the data. If bh
does not run, the interrupt is effectively dead.

Right now, the only way we have of capturing oops data when interrupts
are not working is via a serial console. The serial console runs in
polling mode, no interrupts, no bottom half handling. Any other
suggestion for capturing kernel data really needs to have the same
characteristics. So forget about dumping oops to any file system
unless you can do all the I/O without interrupts or bh.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.074 / U:0.196 seconds]