SubjectRe: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.
   From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 01:05:43 +0100 (BST)

I think it shows up two things. One is the thundering herd problem on accept.
I've got some play patches for that now. They turn out (for that case) fairly
easy to do and to do roughly right.

Accept is only part of the problem though.

Do these play patches implement it the way Linus has suggested to us?

He makes a lot of sense, because in the cases I have studied he is
right, only the task going to sleep has the correct knowledge about
whether wake-one semantics can work or not.

[ for everyone else's benefit Linus's suggestion is for the task to
indicate, when placing himself on the run queue, that he is
"wake one" capable, then the wake up routines stop doing work
when they hit the first task which is marked this way and is not
running already ]

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.148 / U:0.136 seconds]