SubjectRe: Upgrading from RH5.2 to kernel 2.2.5
Hi Stefan.

On 7 May 1999, Stefan Monnier <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu> wrote:

>>> make dep
>>> make clean
>>> make zImage
>>> make modules
>>> make modules_install

> Q> make dep clean modules modules_install zImage

> Note that this last alternative is slightly incorrect because it
> loses the sequentiality information. dep should be done before
> clean which should be done before the others.

If you check the definition of make you will find that it does indeed
execute the components in the order specified, so that isn't a
problem.

> I don't know if `make -j' would exhibit the problem or if it
> does execute cmd arguments in-order (as an exception), tho.

No exception required, as -j on the command line is worthless. If you
want to do a parallel compile, you need to put the relevant -j option
on the MAKE= line in Makefile

> In any case I recommend

> make dep
> make clean