SubjectRe: Oops assist...
> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > > What about the swap file?
> >
> > I don't trust the kernel enough to fiddle around with disks when it has
> > just crashed...

Since most systems have some way to dump memory I thing that it should at
least be a compile time option. But here are some other thoughts:

Mark an known location in memory after the kernel loads with a special
pattern and some kernel environmental information. Set aside some space
for problems. In a normal reboot clear this area on the way down. In a
panic try and add some information to the reserved area.

In the event of a panic or other problem the area will have the pattern
set. When the pattern is found by the boot loader (i.e. LILO) then a
small handler could be loaded into a portion of the reserved area created
above. This could go poking around based on the information found it has
and copy things out to a swap file or maybe a floppy disk.

This would require a small section of physical ram to be set aside but
with a 32mb system that should not be too much of a problem. Maybe set
aside the top 128KB?

How about fixing RAM disks so they survive reboots (not resets) and dump
to them?

Just some thoughts.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.144 / U:0.100 seconds]