    SubjectRe: Oops assist...

    > On Wed, 5 May 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
    > > > What about the swap file?
    > >
    > > I don't trust the kernel enough to fiddle around with disks when it has
    > > just crashed...

    Since most systems have some way to dump memory I thing that it should at
    least be a compile time option. But here are some other thoughts:

    Mark an known location in memory after the kernel loads with a special
    pattern and some kernel environmental information. Set aside some space
    for problems. In a normal reboot clear this area on the way down. In a
    panic try and add some information to the reserved area.

    In the event of a panic or other problem the area will have the pattern
    set. When the pattern is found by the boot loader (i.e. LILO) then a
    small handler could be loaded into a portion of the reserved area created
    above. This could go poking around based on the information found it has
    and copy things out to a swap file or maybe a floppy disk.

    This would require a small section of physical ram to be set aside but
    with a 32mb system that should not be too much of a problem. Maybe set
    aside the top 128KB?

    How about fixing RAM disks so they survive reboots (not resets) and dump
    to them?

    Just some thoughts.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:0.980 seconds]