SubjectRe: Plan-9 is definitely _NOT_ a failure (Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd))
David Miller wrote:

> > Whatever you want to think of Mr. Thompson, the man has more programming mileage
> > than most people here, and Plan-9 is definitely _NOT_ a failure.
>
> Isn't plan9 what the AT&T ES switches run for an OS? I'd certainly not
> consider it a failure under those circumstances.

Depends upon which version of switch. I worked on one such version, which used an
embedded LISP machine running a stripped down version of Symbolics Genera to do the
honors; it had some hairy expert-system code to make complex routing decisions in
real-time. Anyhow, that was six years ago; time has a way of changing things. :-)

It's too bad the single-board LISPM was never marketed so as to be accessible to the
typical end-user; it would have stood a chance to rank along with Linux as an
alternative for the OS enlightened. Although not generally quoted, Sun publicly
conceded that it took six weeks to prototype and develop an application (using their
best software development environment) which took just one week on the LISPM. Being
the market leader, they knew the quote wouldn't hurt business.

Kris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:2.862 / U:0.264 seconds]