SubjectRe: Linux can't stay up for more than an hour?
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn wrote:

> I'm hammering a Linux machine by placing a high volume
> (1,000,000 hits/day, 500,000 CGI hits/day) web site on it. The box can
> certainly handle the traffic -- it's a dual Pentium II-400 machine running
> on a network with plenty of bandwidth. Yet it dies constantly. I'll
> provide as much information as I can in case someone can help point me in
> the right direction.
>
> Kernel: 2.2.6 with SMP
> Memory: 128MB
> Disks: 9Gig local, 12Gig remote NFS from Irix 6.5.2 and locking on.
> knfsd: 981204-1

what network card are you using? there is a subtle problem that high
traffic (multiple flood-pings) causes with 3c509 and etherexpress's
(someone posted a patch for the etherexpress driver) only under SMP.
Can you try running the machine with a uniprocessor kernel?

> The machine dies so hard that the screen goes black and does
> NOTHING. Nothing on the screen, no keyboard input is accepted, no network
> access is accepted. When we recycle the machine, it usually won't restart
> because of file corruption and we need to get someone to the box and run
> fsck on it.
>
> We tried just recently to put this on a different Linux box. We
> have the exact same software configuration on this other box, but it's a
> single processor AMD-K6 333. This machine can't handle the load, and
> eventually dies in the same way. (As it dies, loads are 80+.)

Are you sure it's the same way? Does the first computer die with a high
load also?

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.087 / U:0.208 seconds]