SubjectRe: Oops assist...
BROWN Nick wrote:

> >IMHO, the swapfile is the best & portable solution: NT uses
> >the swapfile, I've read the Solaris uses the swapfile, too.
>
> NT has several options when the machine crashes:
>
> - do/don't reboot
> - do/don't make a dump (to the pagefile - full dump requires pagefile >= mem
> + 11MB). You can specify a dump file name, but I think the pagefile
> contents are copied there when the system reboots
Yes. I remember that this took nearly 20 Minutes with 64 MB memory.
(Long ago, probably a bug in that NT version)

> - do/don't write a record to the event log file
> - do/don't overwrite an existing dump (hadn't finished analysing crash A
> before crash B happened - ha !)
> - (my favourite) do/don't send an alert to the system operator if the dump
> file is so full that there is no room for more dumps
AFAIK, you must have a swap file on the primary harddisk. If you don't
have
a swap file, then only "do/don't reboot" is possible.

Regards,
Manfred

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.991 / U:0.004 seconds]