    SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
    Larry McVoy wrote:

    > You guys should listen to Ken. He is a wise man. Linux is a great little
    > OS and is probably the world's greatest software development environment.
    > On the other hand, there are a bunch of places where it leaves a lot
    > to be desired. Using an off the shelf Linux for a firewall vs. using
    > an off the shelf Solaris as a firewall is an interesting comparison.

    I use Linux for everything. Firewalls, applications, programming, DB, etc.

    Yes there is a lot that can be done. What _can_ be done and what _needs_ to be
    done are fairly different.

    > Using Linux when you really need 64 bits to work is also an interesting
    > problem. I've been through 3 startups which are all Linux based and there
    > was many a time that I was ready to call Sun (I never did, but it was,
    > and continues to be, quite painful).

    Yes. 32bit platforms are becoming irksome to me. Perception has a strong
    value even in the face of fact. 2gig file/mem is a complaint I hear very
    frequently now.

    > There is a huge difference between using Linux as a build machine and
    > using it to run 100% of your company. It's getting better every day,

    Yes, there is. With it being 100% of my company, I have less headache to deal
    with and if necessary, it's easier to fix...generally from anywhere. It's
    easier, faster, and more accessible.

    > but Ken is absolutely correct in stating that it has a long way to go.
    > I don't think that any of us would suggest that our banks place their
    > databases on Linux today (and those of you who would, please suggest it
    > to *your* bank, not mine).

    I would, in a heartbeat. Tell me, do you feel more secure that they use
    Microsoft? You would rather they have Microsoft running your money, or Linux?
    Have you seen an ATM lately running on Microsoft? Keep your eyes open. How
    many kiosks do you walk past in a mall that are locked up with the familiar
    BSOD or AE banners?

    > That doesn't say anything negative about Linux, by the way. It just
    > says we still have work to do. Which is true.

    Yes. We have a lot of work to do. In comparison to the peers at the table, we
    don't. In comparison to `The Best' or `Perfect' OS, we have very much work to
    do.

    I don't advocate complacency in development, but I do think that negative
    criticism only pisses people off. Constructive criticism on the other hand is
    well advised.

    An axiom we could tender is to lend a strong shoulder to the future, don't
    stand by the side nitpicking each other. I am getting fidgity waiting for 2.3
    to start :)

    -d

    --
    This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
    Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux