    SubjectRe: fork() Problem?
    "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> writes:

    > int main()
    > {
    > int i;
    > if(i=foo())
    > (void)puts("If this is not seen, it is a compiler BUG!");
    >
    > return 0;
    > }

    Wrong. Very, very wrong.

    K&R 2nd Edition, page 208 says:

    "The type of an assignment expression is that of its left operand,
    and the value is the value stored in the left operand after the
    assignment has taken place."

    The ANSI C standard says in section 6.3.16:

    "An assignment expression has the value of the left operand after
    the assignment, but is not an lvalue."

    This means the expression "i=foo()" evaluates to whatever the value of
    'i' is after the assignment; if 'i' is zero, then the expression
    evaluates to zero.

    K&R 2nd, p. 223, in section A9.4 says:

    "In both forms of the if statement, the expression, which must have
    arithmetic or pointer type, is evaluated, including all side
    effects, and if it compares unequal to 0, the first statement is
    executed."

    Since page 208 tells us that "i=foo()" has the type "int", which is an
    arithmetic type, "i=foo()" is a perfectly legal expression for an if
    statement. Its behaviour is well-defined and documented by both K&R
    and the ANSI standard. If "i=foo()" evaluates to non-zero, the
    statement is executed. If "i=foo()" evaluates to zero, the statement
    is not executed. Simple.

    Where exactly is this gcc bug you were talking about, then?

    > Finished LCLint checking --- 2 code errors found

    lint is not and has never been a substitute for the language
    definition. I suggest that you obtain and read a copy of K&R or the
    ANSI standard before you start declaring language features to be
    compiler bugs.

    --nat

    --
    nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs