    SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
    On Tue, 4 May 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > I did see Ken Thompson's article in IEEE Spectrum, and while I'm
    > curious about why he thinks Linux is "unreliable", it's probably not
    > worth argueing about. Let's try to spend our energy working on those
    > parts of Linux which could stand to be improved (and they do exist!)
    > as opposed to flame people who dare utter things that we don't like to
    > hear. It's a waste of time, and it simply hurts the Linux community.
    > Better to spend our energy making them even more wrong than they are
    > today. :-)

    I must confess I've been a bit devious and posted a deliberately
    flammatory message, and I'm pleased with the debate that occurred. Thanks
    everyone for the information (nice flames in my mailbox, btw, so that's
    good) =8-).

    Upon my experience with past flamage for other stuff, the flames were
    noticeably weaker and had a much higher signal to noise factor. Keep it up
    guys, I think the slashdotters have moved on. =) And yes, no mailbombs.

    "A mind opened by new ideas can never return to its original limits"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:3.012 seconds]