SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
On Tue, 4 May 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> I did see Ken Thompson's article in IEEE Spectrum, and while I'm
> curious about why he thinks Linux is "unreliable", it's probably not
> worth argueing about. Let's try to spend our energy working on those
> parts of Linux which could stand to be improved (and they do exist!)
> as opposed to flame people who dare utter things that we don't like to
> hear. It's a waste of time, and it simply hurts the Linux community.
> Better to spend our energy making them even more wrong than they are
> today. :-)

I must confess I've been a bit devious and posted a deliberately
flammatory message, and I'm pleased with the debate that occurred. Thanks
everyone for the information (nice flames in my mailbox, btw, so that's
good) =8-).

Upon my experience with past flamage for other stuff, the flames were
noticeably weaker and had a much higher signal to noise factor. Keep it up
guys, I think the slashdotters have moved on. =) And yes, no mailbombs.

Cheers,
Alex
--
"A mind opened by new ideas can never return to its original limits"

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk