SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
Mark Lord writes:
> Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
> > So my understanding is that his opinions are based on reading Linux source
> > code, rather than looking at any badly configured Linux system.
>
> And from that a comparism is drawn against WinNT,
> for which he has not been able to read any source code.. ?!?!?!

AT&T has a source license to an older version of NT, as they were
(or maybe still are) suing Microsoft for access to source for
newer versions. So it's not inconceivable that Thompson has seen
NT source code.

Considering that Thompson has worked on OSes that were developed
by fairly small and well-coordinated groups of people (UNIX with
Dennis Ritchie, Plan 9 with Rob Pike et al) his perception that
Linux looks a bit fragmented and chaotic makes some sense. That
he considers Linux to be purely a backlash against Microsoft does
seem to indicate he doesn't really know much about the history of
Linux, though.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:1.954 / U:0.044 seconds]