SubjectRe: vgacon & mdacon hercules related question
Hi!

> We're using a pentium based PC with hercules monochrome monitor&card at
> home running Linux. The main disadvantage of this combination is the missing
> scroll back function. Since hercules is an ISA card there're also problems
> with scolling VTs (produces strange noise when playing something through
> an isa based sound card). BUT hercules supports hardware scrolling as wall
> as VGA. drivers/video/vgacon.c can handle MDA console as well but it doesn't
> know anything about hercules. So first I must detect hercules. Then I realized
> that in mdacon.c there're the right routines ! And NOW, what's up ?
> Should I put the SAME code into vgacon.c which is existed in
> mdacon.c ?

Perhaps vgacon is what is normally used. mdacon is quite a strange
hack. Please let me know when you have something usable for hercules:
i'd really like to have scrollback for my secondary computer.

> Now, I tried to implement hardware scrolling for hercules in vgacon.c
> but it does not work very well :(

Care to mail me a diff with detailed description and patch?

> Another question : is there way to reduce the effect to sound playing of
> hercules displaying (for example using XF86_MONO ...) or this is the effect
> of the famous "excellent" PC architecture ?

I'm not running XF86_MONO... Maybe I'll start it (my secondary
computer got amd486 upgrade, so it is no longer 386/40).

Pavel

--
I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel