SubjectRe: [2.2.9] performance problem on 100MBit network
Date
On Thu, 27 May 1999 10:50:18 +0200,
"M.Brands" <shrike@il.fontys.nl> wrote:
>I have similar problems with two DEC Tulip cards running at 100 mbit
>full-dupex. I'm currently using the de4x5 driver and when one of my
>machines needs to reboot, the other switches to 10 mbit. When the
>other machines comes back up again, it does switch backup to 100 mbit,
>but the connection is completely screwed up (I've seen pingtimes of up
>to 6000 sec!) Both machines start issuing ARP request for each other,
>but get no reply.

Next time this happens, try switching both cards in and out of
promiscuous mode ("tcpdump -nl -ieth0" followed by ctrl/C will do). If
that fixes your ARP problem then you are probably seeing the same
problem I got on a Tulip based Xircom RBEM56G.

Starting the Xircom when it is already started stalls the transmitter
and loses frames, this is even documented for the Xircom. You do not
notice with TCP because it retransmits. However if the missing frame
is a setup for the MAC filter then the card fails to respond to its own
MAC :(. Going in and out of promiscuous mode will reset the filter.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:1.838 / U:0.140 seconds]