SubjectPROBLEM with Linux Kernel 2.2.x
A tad strange, this one.

I have been doing a regular kernel update to 2.2.9, and did the usual
Debian 2.0 kernel compilation procedures (make-kpkg). It compiled fine.
But when I started working with my soundcard (OPTi931), after the modules
are loaded in, I get all sorts of strange

"Cannot execute binary file: /usr/foo" errors. Often, the core files that
handle shutdown, including init, cannot be run again, because of such
errors. I have lost much time recovering from this. There is no
permanent filesystem damage (except when I had to hard reboot, because
init couldn't shutdown and umount couldn't be run).

I tried to downpatch back to 2.2.6, but the same errors occurred.

I have isolated the problem to the MAD16 driver, which I compiled as a
module. Though I do not know how to fix it, I have tested (logged in
standalone, started insmoding individual modules) and am certain that the
filesystem reading errors start when mad16.o is loaded.

My soundcard is an Opti931 PnP card with the onboard MPU401 chip. I am
currently using it with the following in my conf.modules:

options mad16 io=0x530 irq=7 dma=0 dma16=1 mpu_io=0x330 mpu_irq=5

My isapnp.conf has corresponding parameters.

I thank you for your time.

Kenneth Ho

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.031 / U:0.240 seconds]