SubjectRe: Annoying GPL issues

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> From: Bob Taylor <brtaylor@inreach.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 19:14:31 -0700
>
> > Okay, maybe we can grant copyright of some part of core kernel code to
> > FSF. Anyone who does have code in kernel core should be able to grant
> > their copyright to FSF. [I'd volunteer, but my only bigger piece of
> > code in kernel is nbd ;-)]
>
> Nooooooooo!
>
> Agreed. If you have the best interests of the Linux community at heart,
> absolutely not. Keep in mind that Richard Stallman is an ideologue; an
> activist. He has the interests of his particular political agenda as
> his primary motivator, and I am sure he would perfectly happy to
> sacrifice Linux in the name of furthering the goals of promoting his
> ideas about free software if that ever became necessary.

The guy you qualify as ideolog has promoted things that _really_ exist and
are used and useable nowadays. Could it be possible he just is a pragmatic
ideolog ? ;-)
So was probably Linus and perhaps you at the beginning of the Linux
project. But time may have cleared part of your memory.

> My personal loyalties is not to the FSF but to the Linux community, and
> most of the Linux community tend to be pragmatists. Open Source
> Software is preferable, and we work to make better and greater amounts
> of OSS, but if someone needs to purchase an Accelerated-X server in
> order to get support for a video card using a Savage 3D chipset, that's
> fine. We don't berate someone for having a moral failure because they
> used (oh, horrors!) propietary software on their Linux system.

You are just mixing pragmatism and busyness here, in my opinion. You must
be pragmatic, may-be, if you want to succeed with $$-busyness, but you
also can be pragmatic in a more general way. For example, I donnot
think than projects like Plan-9 that looks like sci-fi that will never
happen has something to do with pragmatism.

> As such, the goals of the FSF are very different than the goals of the
> Linux community, and the last thing we should want to do is give that
> kind of power over to the FSF. Otherwise, some day we might see an
> announcement in Slashdot...

You seem to speak as some representant of the whole Linux community.
Did I miss some election you won or perhaps what you call 'Linux
community' is very different from what I understand from.

> "We had to destroy the village in order to save it".
And perhaps to kill everybody that are against what you want to save, if
needed.

Gérard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.087 / U:0.248 seconds]