SubjectRe: [2.2.9] performance problem on 100MBit network
On May 22,  4:08pm, Jochen Heuer wrote:
} Subject: Re: [2.2.9] performance problem on 100MBit network

> Well, I don't know what happened but at least I can not reproduce
> it any more. Very strange. Plain 2.2.9 is back to full speed again :)
> Maybe something else caused this slowdown. I don't know. Maybe it
> has something to do with my SMC Etherpower II cards. Sometimes I get
> ping times of up to 20 seconds(!) while normaly ping times are ~0.3ms.
> If this happens I have to reboot either my server or my client.
>
> What can I do to debug this if it happens again?

I would probably recommend getting rid of the SMC EtherPower II
cards. I manage the Server Group for our local university and we
finally gave up on these cards in total frustration. They quite
simply cannot stand up under load, they seem especially troublesome in
SMP environments.

We have 10 production Linux servers which are all dual PII's ranging
from 300 to 450Mhz. All the boxes are double-homed with some of them
being triple-homed. We have moved exclusively to the Intel
EtherExpress PRO/100's and haven't had a bit of trouble.

The most prominent symptoms we noted were interface hangs. Downing
and upping the interface would free the card but we are in a
reasonably HA environment and this was totally unsatisfactory. I have
noted extremely long ping times, ie >20 seconds with these cards.
This typically occurred after a hang and an interface cycling when the
cards would seem to get in some wierd state. This behavior typically
required a reboot.

The Etherpower II's also seem to be quite finicky about talking with
switches. I had a great deal of difficulty with one of them in my
consulting office talking with a Netgear switch. We also could never
get them to talk to a line of older Bay/Synoptics switches that we had
at the university before we migrated to Accellar 1200's.

I have used a number of SMC products that I have been quite satisfied
with. The Etherpower II's are not something that I am willing to hang
my hat on.

> Regards,
>
> Jogi

Good luck and have a pleasant weekend.

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Jochen Heuer

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein Enjellic Systems Development - Specializing
4206 N. 19th Ave. in information infra-structure solutions.
Fargo, ND 58102 WWW: http://www.enjellic.com
Phone: 701-281-1686 EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com