SubjectRe: XFS and journalling filesystems
Date

>> journalling filesystem will be opensourced this summer) what is "the
>> panel's" view of the continuing devlopment of ext3/whatever the linux
>> jfs will be called. Should we adopt XFS as the defacto replacement for
>> ext2?
>
>XFS is 50,000 odd lines of mainframe class filing system code. Its unlikely
>to be the ideal fs for a small appliance or a desktop at home even if
>it kicks butt as a server fs.

More like 100,000 lines+. But, I'm not sure what will wind up in Linux.
There are two directory formats (old/new) and only one should go into Linux.
This should save about 10K. Other stuff is on the side like the extended
attributes and they really don't impact the main code.

Why do lines of code restrict what makes an fs ideal for an appliance or desktop?

Jim

>Alan
>

>-

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.209 / U:0.524 seconds]