SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
Date
In article <19990524204409.A164@bug.ucw.cz>,
Pavel Machek <pavel@bug.ucw.cz> wrote:

>`subj` is my 2.3 wish. Having pcmcia support outside of standard
>kernel makes pcmcia drivers second-class citizens, which only work
>sometimes.

Indeed. I would wish to have at least cardbus support int he default
kernel, and eventually it will have to be written - the external pcmcia
support indeed relegates it to second-class citizen support. And
cardbus is much better done and defined than the original pcmcia anyway,
and is what all modern laptops use.

However, I'm not going to just use the pcmcia code as-is, as David Hinds
has never been very excited about putting the support in the kernel.
And I do believe that for the old-style pcmcia stuff the current
approach is the right one anyway due to the ugly details. But if
somebody were to start up a cardbus driver system, I wouldn't be unhappy...

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.033 / U:0.152 seconds]