SubjectRe: XFS and journalling filesystems

> You should wait to see just how serious they really are about this, and how
> much of it they are really going to give you. Another Unix File system
> (yawn yawn yawn) with journalling (which means it will be **SLOW**).

It is b-tree based - a robust b-tree based read-write filesystem with
true Unix semantics is something which Linux could really use. Even if
just for putting on read-only disks :-) It is a 64-bit filesystem, and
they even state that its release is hoped to encourage the use of their
hardware - I don't think they're aiming for it to be usable on 32-bit
systems here.

I think their code, if acceptably licensed, may be very useful. But I don't
think it should prevent us from supporting all other journalling and log-based
filesystems known to man, especially polycenter advfs support would be nice,
especially with dynamically resizable partitions and all the other magic
OSF/1 (now Digital Unix (now Compaq Tru64)) supports :-) and an especially for
Linux one too... there's no reason Linux should restrict itself to one of
anything, supporting choice in such areas is so much nicer.

David.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.178 / U:1.688 seconds]