    SubjectRe: XFS and journalling filesystems
    "Jeff Merkey" <> writes:

    > You should wait to see just how serious they really are about this, and how
    > much of it they are really going to give you. Another Unix File system
    > (yawn yawn yawn) with journalling (which means it will be **SLOW**). I
    > would vote for the ext3 project to continue. It appears they were reacting
    > to us. Here's a trace of their accesses to our website (obtained via
    > reverse subdomain trap) on the day we announmced open sourcing FENRIS and
    > giving it to you guys to have fun with (no strings attached). Not a
    > coincidence. Enjoy. It looks like a commercial ploy to "hijack" linux and
    > buoy up their legacy Irix products. To most big, old guard, commercial Unix
    > companies, Linux is the "kiss of death" to their bloated, overpriced, and
    > proprietary solutions. We are bringing Linux Novell's installed base of
    > 8,000,000 NetWare Servers as a potential target market for Linux to
    > penetrate. How many Irix nodes are there? 40,000 maybe?

    Actually, I think you are wrong here. I suspect that they dn't think
    they can keep IRIX going much longer outside of a very narrow field --
    NT killed their lock on graphics. If they start pushing NT, they'll
    kill their hardware, too, more than likely. *BUT*, if they push Linux,
    then a) they'll likely sell more hardware and b) they are getting a
    lot more people out there who aren't afraid of Unix.
    Both of these are good things, from both their and our points of view.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:2.156 seconds]