    SubjectRe: Printer and Zip drive don't work together.
    On 20 May, Tim Waugh spewed forth:
    :: Here's what I'd like you to do:
    :: 1. Have all the parport/ppa/lp stuff as modules.

    Ok, did that and booted with the new kernel.

    :: 2. Fresh boot, load the parport, parport_pc, and lp modules, and check
    :: that printing works when the Zip drive isn't there.

    Printer is hooked to the parallel port. Printed a couple of test pages
    (including your message!).

    :: 3. Then plug the Zip drive in, and the printer into it, and see if
    :: printing works. If not, it pretty much has to be a hardware problem.

    Ok, only the lp, parport, parport_pc modules loaded. Zip is plugged in
    again and powered on. Printed another couple of test pages.

    :: 4. With the Zip drive still in, load the ppa module. Find out if printing
    :: works. If it did before, and doesn't now, it's a parport/ppa interaction.

    Loaded the ppa module. Now have ppa, lp, parport, and parport_pc
    loaded. Tried to print a couple of test pages. Nothing doing. Stopped

    :: Try powering off and on the Zip drive and see if printing works again.

    Ok, did that. Printing started again. I loaded/mounted a disk, and
    printing stopped. Powered the Zip off again, and the printer started
    printing again. Of course, this generates read errors when reading
    files from the zip, until I umount/mount it again, which effectively
    disables printing until I turn off and back on the Zip, thereby
    creating a vicious cycle.

    :: Let me know what happens.
    That's about it.

    Matthew Vanecek
    Course of Study:
    Visit my Website at
    For answers type: perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
    except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:73.700 seconds]