SubjectRe: 2.2.8 kernel panic during loading
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Stas Busygin wrote:

You are apparently using modules. Probably the correct module(s) was
not rebuilt with your new kernel.

> 2.2.8 kernel gives the following error message during loading:
>
> ==
> Partition check:
> request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted

In /etc/conf.modules, there should be an alias to:

# Generated by modprobe -c (2.1.23)
alias block-major-8 sd_mod
(If you are using SCSI)

This will be worthless if initrd and RAM disk was not compiled into
the kernel because:
request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
... shows that 'request module' didn't work because it found that
the root fs was not mounted, but you can't mount the root file-system
without that module! The modules necessary to mount the root file-system
have got to be in the initrd image.

With a working kernel, do:
`mv /etc/conf.modules /etc/conf.modules.O`
`modprobe -c > /etc/conf.modules`
Then do `lsmod` to see what modules you must compile and install.

Otherwise your IDE drive was not compiled in or found.

If you are not using modules for your root file-system, you probably
did not use the correct 'root' in your /etc/lilo.conf file.

Here is an example:

#
# Lilo boot-configuration script.
#
boot = /dev/sda
message = /boot/message
compact
delay = 15 # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
vga = normal # force sane state

image = /vmlinuz
root = current
label = linux

image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/sdc3
label = maint

image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/sdb1
label = maint-su
append="init=/bin/bash"

image = /vmlinuz.old
root = current
label = linux_old

other = /dev/sda1
table = /dev/sda
label = dos

Note that `current` tells lilo to use the current root file-system.
Also note that I keep the previous version (vmlinuz.old) installed so
I can reboot the ole kernel if I screwed up.

> VFS: Cannot open root device 08:03

Simply can't access the device that contains the root file-system.
Not a kernel bug.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.040 / U:1.372 seconds]