SubjectRe: All the problems with 2.2.8/2.3.x and bdflush/update
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> >> Here's a scenario for you: I do some operation which generates a lot
> >> of dirty buffers, but not enough to trigger bdflush due to low
> >> memory. The machine then sits completely idle for several hours. If
> >> update is not running, will those dirty buffers be written back?
> >
> >No, they will not.
> >
> >And that is _feature_. It has been there from day 0.
>
> Boot with init=/bin/sh to do manual filesystem repairs, reboot immediately
> afterward, discover that NONE of the writes hit the disk, and then tell me
> this is a feature.
>
> fsck has been fixed since this happened to me, but that's irrelevant.
>
> Wishlist: reboot(2) should unmount all partitions and sync first. All other
> UNIXes since 1989 or so do this. (If you think we do, please test it.)

I like very much being able to reboot a machine remotely knowing the
corrupted memory I just made probably won't hit disks if I just type
"reboot -f"...Please don't remove the ability to do this.

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.047 / U:0.200 seconds]