SubjectRe: Dynamic module loading
On Thu, 20 May 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 09:04:32PM -0300, christian wrote:
>
> D'oh, serves me right for replying whilst hung-over :) I looked at your
> original message again and I don't think I understand what your problem is.

I didn't know the scsi_hostadapter request - which left me without a way
to load in ppa. In the kernel docs it _is_ cited in the modules.txt but
I'm always left wondering why I'm the only one who doesn't know what
sound-slot-* and sound-service-*-* and so on. Is there an easy way to know
what means what?

> alias block-major-8 sd_mod will load sd_mod when your scsi disks are accessed;
> sd_mod will then request "scsi_hostadapter", which should be aliased to ppa.
> Of course, I assume this doesn't work if you have more than one scsi adapter,
> but that doesn't seem to be what you're asking.

What happens when you _do_ have more than one scsi adapter? Is this a case
where a double scsi_hostadapter alias would be useful? I do have two scsi
adapters on this box (well, ppa and a 53c400a card) but the card has
refused to work under linux, so it hasn't been a problem yet. I guess scsi
is the only case where I can see this need so far.

cr

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.066 / U:0.216 seconds]